Most of us have heard the term 'Self Care'. We know we should probably be spending more time doing it and making it a priority but what is it and why are we being told to do it?
Here is my really quick guide to self care and ideas you can add into your routine.
What is self care?
Self care is an act towards ourselves that helps to take care of our physical, mental and emotional needs and well-being.
Why practice self care?
These days many of us are busy with our careers, we spend our free time rushing about after family and loved ones, doing errands, commuting, doing household chores. It is just non stop.
This constant work without any down time can lead to feelings of overwhelm, increased anxiety, shorted patience, lack of energy and general burnout to name a few.
Important Self Care Habits We Should Be Doing
Getting self care into your daily routine can be difficult and it is often about creating it as a habit. You might already be doing many of these. But if not try to pick one and work it into your routine instead of trying to add all of them at once. If you do one at a time it will cause less overwhelm.
- Get plenty of sleep. We really do need a good 7-8 hours a night but this does vary from person to person.
- Eat nutritiously and ensure your diet is balanced.
- Spend time with family and loved ones
- Say no to things that you don’t want to. For example working extra hours, going to events you’d rather not, spending time with people you know will make you unhappy.
- Keep up with your health checks. This can be anything from doctors appointments to routine dental and optical appointments.
- Ensure you do an activity a day that is for your own enjoyment
- Exercise. Exercising is good for you both physically and mentally. It can boost your mood and is a very good habit to get into. There is such a vast variety of exercise to choose from so find something you enjoy so that it doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Meditate once per day. This is a great form of relaxation and can help with anxiety.
Additional and Simple Self Care Ideas
These following ideas are great pick me ups and can be done as one offs to boost your mood or as part of a routine.
- Drink a big glass of water
- Do something crafty or learn a new craft
- Writing a gratitude list
- Read an enjoyable book
- Spend time outdoors
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Light your wonderful smelling candles
- Have brunch with friends
- Have a manicure
- Go for a leisurely walk
- Unfollow social media accounts that don’t make you feel great
- Make yourself a nice hot cup of tea
- Schedule a mini pamper session
- Spend 20 minutes de-cluttering an area of your home
- Listen to happy upbeat music
- Use your fancy bath and body products
- Go to bed a little earlier
- Bake something you love to eat
- Get a massage
- Practice some breathing exercises
- Plant something
- Do some stretches
- Schedule a date night with your partner or a friend
- Switch off your phone for periods of time
These are just a few ideas but take the time to find out what you enjoy and make sure you add them into your life. And remember, don’t feel guilty for taking a little bit of me time. Self care is very important and shouldn’t be overlooked.